facebook

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Thanksgiving season....

I think this should be a year around of what we are thankful for, one of my favorite hymns is, "Count your blessings" name them one by one.

GOD- I'm thankful that he is who he is, that he is merciful and loves everyone the same. It's all about him, I am where I'm at today, doing what I'm doing, have the blessings I'm thankful for because of him and only because of him.

Family- I'm thankful for loving parents, a Christian mom who made sure we went to church not only taught me the way of Jesus, but showed it by the way she lived. If it had not been for her I would not be where I'm at today. My dad didn't go to church, but he taught me a work ethic that so many today do not possess, he taught me to work for what you want, you take a job you do that job. My siblings who I wouldn't be who I am without them, even though we fought growing up and still have occasional disputes we are all there for each other, and thankful that we are all in a church serving GOD.

Jeremy- well he gets his own category, he's a big part of my life and so Thankful for the blessing GOD gave me with him. I had wanted a child so bad and was so excited when I got pregnant, couldn't wait to be a mom and didn't care if we had a boy or a girl. The long awaited day finally arrives after planning and anticipating the long 9 months. The event wasn't what I had envisioned, wasn't planning on having an emergency C-section, wasn't planning on our Pediatrician telling me there was something wrong with our son, wasn't planning on meeting our first Neurosurgeon that day, wasn't planning on him being admitted and spending 11 days in the NICU, wasn't planning on Jeremy having surgery the next day of his life, that wasn't part of my plan, wasn't what I was hoping for, I didn't sign up for that, wasn't jumping up and down begging GOD for this. This was what I got all wrapped up in an adorable, sweet, precious baby boy who was going to have special long term medical & developmental needs. Because of who Jeremy is. I'm grateful for the father who was a scientist and because his son was born with hydrocephalus he was determined to not let him die so he created the shunt for his son's survival it gave my son the shunt he needed to not only survive but start to thrive in life. I started doing lots of research, learning every bit of what I could where it pertained to Jeremy. I'm grateful for Dr. Cyrus our pediatrician, I didn't realize what I was getting when I chose him, actually I didn't choose him GOD had him picked out for Jeremy and sent him to me, it was a no brainier. Dr. Cyrus has been 1 of Jeremy's biggest advocate, a strong united front in my life a person I could fall back on when I needed assistance with Jeremy and with his words, "DON'T LET JEREMY SLIP THROUGH THE CRACKS" changed my life and I learned to advocate. I'm grateful for Sooner start who gave Jeremy early intervention, I truly credit them for Jeremy's ability to walk and do what he is doing, every bit that Jeremy was determined not to do something they were even more determined he would do it. They have become life long friends, support system for me. I'm grateful for all of Jeremy's medical team, so many who have went above and beyond the call of duty and truly had Jeremy's best interest in mind. I'm grateful for the ones in the past I have fired, through their inability to be the physician they should be, it taught me not to keep my mouth shut when it comes to Jeremy's medical treatment. I'm grateful for the educational team Jeremy has had through his life, past teachers, para and current ones. I'm grateful for the ones I said you are not working with my son anymore, again it taught me to stand up for Jeremy. I'm grateful for the State of Oklahoma for the In home support wavier that provides us with support. Phoenix Residential who provides us with HTS when I have to work to help take care of Jeremy. I'm grateful for Matt Cobb and the whole ETL (Effective-Teaching & learning) team, Matt has worked with Jeremy for 5 years on how to use his behavior in a positive way, taught me ways to work with Jeremy and the whole, HAPPY ETL team. I'm grateful for the Oklahoma family network, for the support it's provided me through the years and for the support that it has allowed me to provide to other families. For St. Francis Children's Hospital for giving Jeremy the start he needed in life and the push along the way, for helping so many families and for embracing The Oklahoma Family Network and allowing us to visit families who are there. The last 10 years has been challenging at times, more times than not but it's made me strong, it's made me advocate, and push for what I feel its wrong and sometimes I just push because I feel it's the right thing to do not just for Jeremy but for others. I don't know what the future holds for me or for Jeremy, I don't know about this upcoming spine surgery or how we will fix his spine I just know to trust GOD.

I hope if you get a chance to dance or sit it out, that you dance always give GOD more than just a passing glance, give faith a fighting chance and LIVE with GOD !!!!

No comments: