facebook

Monday, August 18, 2008

A child shall lead them......

Today after we visited with Dr. Michael Kayser our Geneticist to discuss the L1cam gene "significant" change that was noted, I took Jeremy back to Happy Hands a Christian Developmental school for hearing impaired/deaf children. When we pulled up into the circle drive like we did a million times, I asked Jeremy do you remember Happy Hands and he says, "ahhh yea" and reached for his backpack. It was good to see our past friends, although the children Jeremy went to school with have since moved on, we were able to visit with our one of our past teachers, and Jan the director and Al the founder. Our story of why Jeremy went to happy hands started when he failed his newborn hearing screening, we were advised to get it re-checked so at 6 weeks we repeated the newborn ABR only to find Jeremy had a moderate/severe hearing loss. We had him fitted for hearing aids and was told about Happy Hands, course my thought was I live in Sapulpa and there is no way I'm driving to Tulsa every day. I already had daycare in place. Not only does GOD work in mysterious ways but he also has ways of changing my mind. Amazing, my daycare plans were disrupted when the lady's husband got transferred out of town. I'm sitting at my kitchen table wondering what I am going to do and crying out to GOD with all we had been through so far I didn't need this. This was going to offer me some normalcy into my life. There on the table was a Happy Hands brochure. I read it and a comment from one mom was how it was an answered prayer so I decided we would visit. Jeremy had just recently been discharged from the hospital after a sudden return and I was overwhelmed with all of the new information and what it meant for us. The school was impressive with the children being so happy, when we got ready to leave, Jan the Director asked if she could pray for us because that is what they do at Happy hands and I knew that GOD was telling me this is where Jeremy needed to be. Jeremy attended Happy hands for 5 years and the summer before he started Kindergarten I made the pain staking decision to remove him and enroll him in Sapulpa full-time. When Jeremy started his other daycare that summer he would fold his hands when they started to eat he was so accustomed to praying before each meal because that is what they did at Happy hands, they prayed plus they had a morning prayer time and Jeremy was the thought of many of their prayers. We found out the next summer that Jeremy did not have a hearing loss, it was the way he was processing information so he no longer needed hearing aids. The developmental phase of the hearing aids and being at Happy hands gave Jeremy one of the start he needed. Although, Jeremy is non-verbal his receptive language is good. You can ask him a question and he will sign "please" and that is his way to say, "yes that is what I want". He is also getting verbal as you could tell by his little video, he jabbers up a storm but is really good at saying, "no" and "ahh yea".

We also went to meet Jeremy's new teacher at Jefferson-Heights, Mrs. Parsons and a familiar para-professional, Misty Glen. We ran into our principal Mr. Walsh and Mrs. Wit who all had to come over and talk to Jeremy about his broken leg. Jeremy starts school on Wednesday, August 20 and he will be in the 3rd grade. I'm excited for a new year, for new progress he is going to make, new skills.

No comments: