facebook

Monday, January 31, 2011

In honor of our "super-hero" Dr. Dan

I will be brief in my re-cap and how Dr. Anagnost, our ortho in Tulsa who followed Jeremy gave me the advice to find someone who does this often, and they are equipped to deal with Jeremy in case something happens, he said there are no guarantees and that way you have no regrets.  I prayed for GOD to heal J's spine without surgery but if surgery was required then to help me find who he has picked out.  I commented many times that Columbia, Missouri wasn't on my radar but that is where we landed, that is where GOD wants us and under the care of Dr. Daniel Hoernschemeyer.  

When, Jeremy had his first surgery last August things didn't go as we had expected but through a difficult, stressful time I had peace.  I knew J was where he needed to be, that I never doubted, under the care of Dr. Dan.  When you see a Doctor clear hallways, hold elevator doors, stays with your son while they are doing an MRI, talks to you after, openly admits not only is he going to pray for your son's recovery but is asking his friends to pray for your son's recovery, and the day he sends you home the last thing he says, "I am going to see J through this" and he followed through with that statement.   The day we returned to see Dr. Dan on September 27, we had communicated the past 6 weeks, he knew J had recovered his motor skills and was walking.  I had emailed him pictures and sent videos.  To see the look on his face when he was walking down the hall and he seen Jeremy get up, shut the office door was priceless.  I named him J's Super-hero, Dr. Dan...... 

Dr. Dan had given it a great deal of thought and prayer to come up with a new plan.  J go in traction for 16 days to naturally relax and stretch his spine, then he would do the spinal fusion surgery.  The time during the traction, J was doing well, no neurological issues and Dr. Dan was hopeful that he would get some correction and especially in the lower to fix the leg length difference.  I don't need to re-create the events of a surgery that it didn't go well.  

They called me to tell me that Dr. Dan was going to come talk to me, took me into the room and I waited for what I thought was a long time.  Dr. Dan finally walked in and it wasn't the look I wanted to see, in fact it took him a while to even say anything.  You get to know physicians who care for your children and have your child's best interest in mind, I notice eyes and facial expressions.  The first words out of his mouth were something like, "this wasn't what I wanted for Jeremy, I'm sorry".  He said I'm sorry several times and recounted the events of the surgery.  I'm not saying he had, but he looked like he had cried before he came to talk to me and I noticed several times through out the conversation he would turn away and would be slow to speak.  I don't know that I have ever felt bad for a doctor, I felt bad for J, what he went through, what he was going through, what was yet to come, what I was going through emotionally, but I have to say I honestly felt bad for Dr. Dan.  I know it wasn't what he wanted for Jeremy, he had told me several times what his plan for Jeremy was.  This Dr. brought his kids by to visit J, he came by each day to check on J to see how things for going.  He wanted and wants what is best for Jeremy, truly and sincerely. 

I pray for Jeremy to recover his leg health, for me to have wisdom to get J what he needs, but I also lift Dr. Dan up in prayer as he deals with a surgery that didn't go as he would have liked, hoped or wanted for Jeremy the second time, I pray for him as he has to re-group, thoughts and come up with the next step for Jeremy. 

No comments: