facebook

Monday, September 6, 2010

One Month ago...

I can't believe that one month ago today, Jeremy had his first spine surgery. The day started out great. We arrived at the hospital to check in at 5:30am, Jeremy did well during surgery, a surgery that went as well as Dr. Dan expected was also a day that our world was temporarily changed. I got to see first hand the reason GOD sent us to Dr. Dan, not only a surgeon with expertise into complex spinal issues, but a truly beyond, caring, compassionate physician who had Jeremy's best interest in mind. A season that GOD has used to teach me many lessons, remind me of the things I have taken for granted, one of which was my personal relationship with GOD. I had allowed GOD to take the back seat and put myself in control.

Tomorrow it has been 3 weeks since Dr. Dan and Dr. Robertson released us and we left University of Missouri, Children's hospital and in 3 weeks we go back to see Dr. Dan.

Dr. Robertson was the resident we had, we seen him almost as much as Dr. Dan. Dr. Robertson rotated out in August so when we go back we will not see him, I told him we have to get a picture of him and Jeremy. This picture is right before we left, Jeremy (notice J's MIZZOU shirt, I'm quite proud of it) and Dr. Robertson.

Dr. Robertson was the one who woke me up at 6am each morning and was awesome with Jeremy. I really liked him. I was talking to him before we left and told him we would be back, he said he was going to watch the board and keep up with this little guy. That touched me, and showed he truly cared. I like to see the residents, and hope that the experience with Jeremy and I will impact the way they treat families in the future to truly make them family centered doctors. Dr. Robertson never questioned my insight into Jeremy and respected my expertise. I appreciated that and feel he doesn't have any improvement to do in the area of being a family centered physician, he is there.

I will get a picture of Jeremy and Dr. Dan at our Post-op visit.

The day we came home J couldn't tolerate sitting up, let alone put any weight on his legs. In the weeks we have been home Jeremy continues to gain muscles, strength and lost skills. Jeremy had PT on Tuesday and the therapist said this was a 100% improvement from where he was at one week ago, which is his story.

Jeremy has transitioned back to school full time and doing well. He only stays in the wheelchair approximately 30 minutes a day, he is sitting at the lunch table eating with his peers. Jeremy is crawling everywhere, cruises around furniture and just last week starting to take just a few steps on his own. At church yesterday, Jeremy told me he was wet, on his own he walked from the nursery to the bathroom, pulled down his pull-up, I sit him on the potty, he sit there for a bit, got up and washed his hands. This morning when he finished his sausage, he got up from the table and put his plate in the sink. I am looking at a living room of cushions being taken off the couch, walking around the house, opening doors, turning lights off behind him. One of the fondest memories I have of this past summer was Jeremy each morning going from the bedroom to the living room looking out the window waiting for Misty to arrive. I watched Jeremy walk over to the couch, grab the "Inside Columbia" magazine and for the first time stop and look out the window. I am sitting here watching my son, laugh and read the magazine. He has been walking most the morning with no assistance. Jeremy just came into the living room with my shoes on, very proud of himself, walking on his own.

Continue to pray Jeremy to stay healthy, muscle strength and Dr. Dan as he decides when and prepares for Jeremy's spinal fusion.

1 comment:

misty glenn said...

AWESOME!! I knew he wouldn't loose what he learned over the summer. I am so proud of Jeremy!!