facebook

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Surgery details.....

Wow it's been crazy, I haven't been able to get my computer settings to work with the internet at the motel or hospital so I'm trying to work that bug out where I can access my laptop so I haven't been able to update his blog but have been updating facebook with my blackberry that is easy.

Let's just get this out, it wasn't what I expected because I am human and I have plans in place and my plans are not always GOD's plan so I'm putting my faith, trust in him that he knows what is best for Mr. Jeremy. I mean after all GOD put us in Columbia under Dr. Dan Hoerscenmeyer's care because that is who GOD had picked out. If you remember my prayer when I first found out about J needing to get the spine fixed, was GOD heal the spine without surgery (I am a mom, but I am a christian and I believe GOD could do it if that was his plan, but it wasn't) but if it wasn't his plan to send us to the surgeon he had picked out because again GOD had a plan in place. You can read previous post to find out how we landed in Columbia, under the care of Dr. Dan but this was where GOD wanted us.

We arrived in Columbia, on Thursday, made our appointment with Dr. Ram who was going to do the anteior approach, I thought they would be cutting Jeremy open through his heart surgery incision so was relieved that it was the side, he explained what he would be doing. We went to our motel went to, "Going Bonkers" allowed Jeremy to play, went back to the motel and J wondered until 11:30pm, which was fine. We got up Friday morning, bright and early and arrived at the University of Missouri Children's Hopsital by 5:30am to check in. Dr. Dan came by, we hadn't seen him since February at our original visit he came by to see how things were going.

Jeremy went back at 7am, and about 8:30am I was told they were just getting started. I was notified by 11:30 that surgery was complete everything had went as expected and they would be closing which could take approximatley a few more hours. We met with Dr. Dan, he explained how the surgery went as expected, no surprises, he was doing good and they did have to remove the 7th rib which I knew they might. He did mention during surgery they hook the patients up to Neuro-monitors to make sure the spinal cord doesn't get in a bind during surgery and at one point he was applying the refractors and the monitors went off, he backed off and all went back to normal. He was a little concerned that Jeremy wasn't moving his legs as much, but he said he was sleeping really soundly. Jeremy was transported to PICU, where we waited to see him. Dr. Dan checked on him and we hadn't seen him yet he seen me sitting in the consultation room and took us back there. Jeremy's blood pressure was running low so they were monitoring that. My next surprise was Dr. Robertson, the resident telling me he spoke to Dr. Dan and they weren't thrilled with Jeremy not moving his legs so Dr. Dan wanted to do an MRI. This was to make sure there were nothing that was compressing the spine that he needed to be concerned with. I have said how compassionated, caring Dr. Dan is, it wasn't shortly after Dr. Robertson told me that I turned around to find Dr. Dan by Jeremy's bed. It's also always nice to see hospital staff work well together and to respect the physican in charge of your child and he has that respect from staff. Dr. Dan is just a good, caring person and offered to take my mom to the motel we were going to stay at. Dr. Dan said there was nothing on the MRI to indicate any spinal cord damage. He took him out of traction and changed his meds and put him on some steriods to protect the spine. J's blood pressure ran better through the night, he didn't always sleep soundly and was in and out. I stayed with him and about 2-3 am Jeremy started to sleep soundly so I got a little sleep.

This morning, Jeremy's blood pressure is still lower and he's not moving his legs. Dr. Dan was able to compare the MRI we did in Tulsa in September (because I was good and had all of that in J's care notebook). Dr. Robertson got the MRI up on the screen, came got me and said Dr. Dan wanted to show me something, so they were able to compare and it's unchanged. He doesn't know why the spinal cord is stressed. He took him out of traction, so with that he can come off of the pain medicine that is affecting his blood pressure, they will give him something else for pain. He wants him to start waking up, sit up, possible eat my mouth if Jeremy will and access him at that point. Dr. Dan can't tell me if he is going to do the spinal fusion surgery on Friday, next friday or when he said the next few days will give him a good plan and idea.

The social worker got us a room at the Wyatt guest house (is the University of Missouri's) house for families who are dealing with cancer they can stay here. Their census is low on weekends as people go home so they offered to help out the hospital since the RMH was closed. We do have to check out tomorrow and don't know if we will have a room anymore. The plan is to do laundry, take a nap, take a shower and then go back up to the hospital this evening. Dr. Dan told me to get out, go check in the motel and come back up later and he was coming up later to see Jeremy. Since they are taking him off his meds, J will be more awake, be mader than an old wet hen so I will probably stay with him through the night to comfort him.

Prayer request: Pray for knowledge for Dr. Dan as he figures out what is going on with Jeremy, Jeremy to be able to tolerate pain, blood pressure to return to normal, no infection, his spinal cord to start reacting as he would like to see. Pray for peace, rest and comfort for my mom and me. I am at peace with the whole situation, but I am also a mom concerned about her son. If we need to stay here 3 weeks to figure out and come back we will do what we have to do for Jeremy.....

I am making short updates on facebook, but since I know the RM has a computer I can make some updates to his blog as time goes on...

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Will do! Many hugs to you.

Shannon said...

Prayers to you and Jeremy. Smile when you see the sunshine, children a true blessing of sunshine.