facebook

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

We are home...

Mike brought up Jeremy's brace yesterday morning, made adjustments and Dr. Dan was happy with the way it fit. Dr. Dan and Dr. Robertson got all of our paperwork in order to release, but wanted X-rays first. Our nurse, Alice took us down to X-rays, we did some sitting, some in the brace and some out. Dr. Dan wanted to see where Jeremy's spine was and how the brace was holding him after surgery. They were to page him when finished so he could view them before we were released. I spoke with Dr. Dan on the phone in radiology and he was pleased with how the brace was holding Jeremy, there was some correction. Alice, our nurse took us back to our room and went over all the discharge instructions. I had them to page Dr. Robertson so I could get a picture of him and Jeremy, he is rotating out so when we come back he won't be with Dr. Dan. Dr. Robertson came by, we got the picture and I thanked him for what he did for Jeremy. We loaded up, took Jeremy down to the lobby in his car seat, mom waited with Jeremy and I went to ground level to get the car to bring it to the front door. On the way I ran into Dr. Dan, he reviewed everything with me and told me he wanted to see Jeremy through this and to keep him updated. I thanked him with what words I had, there are just not many for what that man did while we were there. It was a bittersweet moment and I had tears in my eyes, you adjust to being there. Jeremy traveled well, we did have to stop a few times to re-position him. We left the University of Missouri Children's Hospital at 12:15 and arrived home at 6:15pm. I made Jeremy a pallet on the floor when we got home, he was so happy to roll around and see his toy story tent. I managed to get 12 days worth of stuff put up, laundry started. I gave J some Tylenol to help with the pain and to help him sleep.

We slept in for a little while this morning. I have to admit it was nice to be in our house, quiet, just the 2 of us and get up this morning run around in my PJ's and make coffee in our house. I have to admit, I missed Dr. Robertson waking me up at like 6am each morning, the funny thing is he never really said a word until I woke up. I don't know how long he stood there each morning. I gave Jeremy a bath which I know that had to feel good, he hadn't had one since surgery. He did stand on his legs with my support for a while to let me dry him off. I got him dressed got the brace back on and laid him on the pallet. I came back in and he had gotten on the couch by himself which seems to be his comfortable place.

I am excited to get back to work tomorrow, get back to using my brain but I think it is all about getting back to our lives.

Jeremy will start PT probably Monday, we have ordered the wheelchair and should get it any day. We will go back and see Dr. Dan on September 27, he will see where Jeremy is at and see about the spinal fusion. This still has to be done and he acted like sooner than later. My speculation is, when we see him on the 27th he will have a good idea of where Jeremy is at and I foresee us doing surgery mid-Octoberish...

No comments: