facebook

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The world's best and our favorite resident, Dr. Daniel Robertson...

Late yesterday evening, we got a surprise, Dr. Daniel S. Robertson came by to check on J on his way home.  I really wanted him to see J while he was tearing up the floor with his walker and get a new picture of them together because the last time he seen J was pretty much in this situation.   I told him, there is the world's best and our favorite resident.  He had been by to check on J while he was in the PICU but I guess I was gone.  He said he heard about J and the walker.  I showed him some of the pictures I had taken of J in the famous, "halo traction walker", he said he hadn't seen the walker but could tell he was moving.  He did say he had a hand in re-creating the traction wheelchair since he created it the first time, he said there were lots of emails about that wheelchair. 

What is so special about this resident?  Dr. Robertson assisted Dr. Dan in the anterior spinal fusion, so he seen J go through his first tough spine surgery, he was there from beginning and discharged us.  Dr. Robertson is such a polite, respectful physician and one who in my opinion has mastered the family centered care early into his residency.  He had the tough job of coming in later the day of surgery, a surgery day that rocked my world to basically tell me, "you are going to be living one of our worse nightmares".  How do you tell a mom this possibility? a mom who was there by herself, praying over her son's PICU bed, as they work to stabilize him and his blood pressure.  I mean honestly how many ways are there?  the way Dr. Robertson broke the news, soft-spoken, polite and full of empathy, "we are concerned with the lack of J's leg movement and we are going to do an MRI to check for a spinal cord injury".  He stood there with me for several minutes, although I didn't have too many questions he answered the ones I had and then Dr. Dan came in.  I didn't know Dr. Robertson existed up to that point, but he did make a somewhat scary situation not seem so scary.  He came by each morning to check on J, it was always funny I would wake up and he would be standing there and never spoke until I woke up and spoke to him. 
We discussed what the future plan was for J, to go home, rebuild and go from there.  I was excited to find that he rotates back in with Dr. Dan in March/April so we should be back and he will be our resident.  It was nice to catch up with him, he had commented that J recovered fast the last time and he will do great this time, he wasn't giving me false hope but it was a reassurance and I occasionally need them.  J had his I-phone going to the 80's and he says, "J I figured you to be an 80's type of guy".  He said he would come back by and hang out with J.  I asked if he had saw his picture with J on Dr. Dan's web and he said, "he had and was honored, to bad you didn't have a better resident".  I told him we had the World's best and our favorite...

No comments: